Thursday, May 13, 2010

20...it's pretty good.

(Beth, when she was trying to be like me and go brunette)


20 years ago today I had one of the most tramatic experiences of my life. I was 6. Sarah was 9. For years it had just been us. I liked Sarah. Even though she would make me believe such stories as this...

Imagine us eating popsicles. It wasn't always popsicles but any type of treat really. Sarah is older...so naturally she eats her popsicle faster than me. (What? Don't older people eat faster than younger people?)...I thought so. So Sarah is half way done with her popsicle while I have only had a few licks. She says to me.

Sarah: Let's trade popsicles.
Me: Why?
Sarah: Because I'm older and bigger so I should have the bigger popsicle, and you are younger and littler (littler?...pretty sure that's only a word in young people launguage) so you should have the smaller popsicle.
Me: Ok.

I was gullible you guys.

So I really liked Sarah. I liked it just being the two of us. I knew my mom had some sort of weirdness (weirdness?) going on in her belly because it kept getting bigger and biggger and then it started to move and it freaked me out. So Alien like. Then one day my mom went to the hospital. We were later brought over by our lovely neighbor. When we got to the hospital my mom was in a bed and Sarah and I sat on a couch at the end of that bed. My dad...who can't handle any kind of bodily grossness (grossness? I'm not doing very well today) has to leave the room or he passes out. Embarassing . So here we are in the hospital room, minding our own business when all of a sudden Dr's come in and nurses and I'm confused as to what is happening here.

And. Then. It. Happens.

You know what I mean people. I'm in the room. Baby in belly, Baby not in belly anymore. And I witnessed it all.

I was horrified. I still can't believe my own mother would let me be in there for that. That stuff that all of you mommy bloggers talk about how wonderful and great it is....it's not so wonderful OR great for someone who is 6.

Let me tell you.

Sheri will still to this day stand firm in her belief that we wanted to be there.

Whatever. I never knew what I was signing up for.

Are you still reading? I promise this post has an end.

It's in sight.



So after the event, we had a new sister. One with HUGE blue eyes and blonde hair? What? Blonde hair? Are you sure we are sisters?

And about 12 years past. And I never really warmed up to the new sister. She was whiny and spoiled and was WAY cuter than I was.. I didn't like her for almost all of those years.

And then one day something changed. I still to this day can't put my finger on it. Sarah thinks it's because she got married. I think it was because all of a sudden we had something in common. Even though Beth was 6 years younger than me we were now the same size. We could share clothes, makeup, and she started to like boys...so now we had things to talk about. And it went from not being able to stand the sister....to loving her more than ever. We became best friends. So close that I could tell Sarah felt left out. There's just not enough of me to go around!

And now 20 years later, she's lucky enough to live with me and Jon. I think at first we all thought it would be weird, but I love it. I love that even though we've been sisters for this 20 years, I learn new things about her, and a few others that I just love.


Like the other day when she told me about the time she tried to buy Mike's Hard Lemonade and was confused as to why they were asking for her ID. Silly.

And how she is so daring she found a new love for long boarding, and she has promised me to never do it with out a helmet....cause I'm her mom while the real one is gone.

How she is one of the most beautiful people I've ever known and she has no idea.


She get's harassed by our family to marry a blind date with a boy who's name starts with B. It runs in the family.

How she's so tall and she owns it. What? 5'11' and still wears heels? What a girl.

And my very favorite in our 20 years so far.

My first year of college my parents had gone on a trip to Hawaii and Beth didn't want to stay home until I got home from school...my class ended at 10:00, so I took her with me. And the cute boy in my class who I had a crush on was hitting on my little sister. My teacher asked me to introduce her to the class so I got up and said...This is my sister Beth. And my teacher asked how old she was....

Wait for it...

14.

Oh the look on the boys face when he heard that number. Priceless.

Finding out your crush likes your 14 year old sister? Not so priceless for me...thanks Mastercard.

So to you Beth, on this day 20 years later. You're pretty much the coolest in the fam. And we all know it. Happy Birthday.

5 comments:

Kevin and Sheri said...

What a brilliant blog. Remember how hard it was to get that Beth of ours here? It was no easy task, but worth the wait, oh how she has blessed all of our lives in so many ways.Happy 20th BETHIE BOO BEAR!

Tyson S. H. said...

First off, Jessie, I had no clue you had lived through such a traumatic experience... explains a lot actually.

Secondly, happy 20th to Beth.

Thirdly, I expect to be invited to Beth's wedding so I can go 3 for 3 with the Mertin girls weddings - without incident!

Seth and Sarah said...

The truth is hard to hear, but you're right...Beth is the coolest. I guess I gave up that privilege when I conned you into giving me your 'bigger' popsicle and bossed you two around your whole lives! Nice dedicatory post to Beth...and I'm never going to let her forget about that Mike's hard lemonade incident either....

Gennaveeve said...

Awww! That is so cute!!! You three are adorable!!!

Hailey Jones said...

ahhhhhh. ilovebeth. mostly her trying to drink hard lemondade and i hope she marrys a boy with a b name. that would be awesome. i am also so glad that i read this blog. for some reason i haven't read it in forever. so expect twenty comments. all from your fav goose.