Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mutton Bustin




Over the 4th we had Jon's brother's family in town from Minnesota. I loved having them here, and while I had to be a grown up and work the whole time they were here, I was able to go to the Rodeo with everyone. The rodeo is a bit of a tradition in my family...if you can call a doing it a few years in a row a tradition. Growing up we were never in the US to celebrate the 4th, but the past few years we've gone together. I was excited to be able to go with a different family this year, and the parents will have to enjoy the few pictures that I took.



This guy wasn't the best bronco rider, but he did get his arm stuck on the saddle (is that where they stap themselves to?) and that horse was bucking him all over the place. He was flopping around like a rag doll until the other guys in the arena could get him loose. I was amazed that he walked away. I feel bad saying this, but I love when the guys get hurt and they have to bring in the paramedics and everything. It's all so dramatic.



And what is the rodeo with out a little WT? Here for your viewing pleasure was the best mullet we could find in close proximity to us. Enjoy

We of course got a few treats for everyone to share and my nephew concocted a very interesting way to eat a few of them together. I love the way his mind works. We had some kettle corn popcorn and he got some blue cotton candy. He liked to wrap a kernal of that kettle corn in a bit of cotton candy and pop that right into his mouth.


This mouth....missing the two front teeth. He talked with a little lisp and everything. I loved it.

Of course Mutton Bustin is my favorite part of the rodeo. If you're not quite sure what that is let me explain. They have kids ranging from 3-7 years old and they have them ride sheep. They strap a helmet to their head and put them right on the back of a sheep and off they go. Whoever stays on the longest wins. I was too excited about the whole thing to take any pictures, but the kid who was sitting by us won and he was adorable. He got on that sheep and rode it like he was riding a camel. Sitting high on the neck and everything. The kids thought he was so cool and went over to congratulated him after he won the trophy that was bigger than he was.



We had a great time and I'm excited for next year when Tate (my nephew) said he would participate in Mutton Bustin! I'm buying front row seats next year.

3 comments:

Kevin and Sheri said...

I have to concur on the "mutton bustin", it's the best. I'll have to catch next year's via video of Tate, we won't be home till the 13th of July you know!!! It should be exciting though. Glad to catch a glimpse of your 4th of July activities.

Marie said...

First of all, your dress in that picture at the top of your blog is to die for. Just had to say that.

Also, you are the cutest ever and I love your blog! It would be so fun to get together. I still remember Oakcrest and all those hilarious conversations you, me, and toyota would have about...well ya know! :) hehe.

anyway, you look great and I hope you're doing well.

Mike and Corie said...

The mullet picture has to be the best one here! You can't go to a rodeo and not snap a picture of that haha.
I Love your blog, I think its really cute!
I got a little sweet chill when I read "and the best part was that I got to spend all of this with him"
You two are so great together!
Love ya