Sunday, October 3, 2010

Another Lawn Mower




Growing up I always wondered if my dad ever felt jipped because he never had a son. Instead of attending sporting events, he went to dance recitals. Instead of going to the father son outings, he took us on daddy daughter dates. Instead of having a son to sit and watch sports with him, we had special family home evenings where he would explain the complexities of football to us (favorite family night ever by the way). He even made our camping expeditions better by investing in a portable toilet that we could take on backbacking trips, and we were all too happy to carry that in our packs up the 5 mile trail.
During those years of drama, broken hearts, and the normal everyday thrills of raising girls...he never complained. I never heard him say he felt left out because he had all girls and no boys. He may have felt it, but never voiced it. I think as the years went by, he loved being the only man. I found it to be a blessing. Growing up I thought my dad was the perfect man. And to this day, I still think he's pretty close. I knew that he would always be the best example of what kind of qualities I wanted to find in someone.
My parents will often say that they were happy they were only given daughters because they have been blessed with great son-in-laws, which is true...but I knew Kevin was only waiting for the real pay day...grandsons. He says that he only wants them so they can come over and mow the lawn for him. I was happy to tell him this week that he had another lawn mower coming his way. Our little one is a boy and we couldn't be more excited, but I secretly think Kevin is the most excited of all.

9 comments:

aswalker said...

Yeah! A boy!! That is so exciting! I'm really so happy for you Jessie!

Al and Jenny said...

Boys are so much fun! I know people are always talking about girls, with the hair bows, tights, shoes, etc. But I have to say that I find shopping for James just as fun! It's just a whole different ball game.

Congratulations again! I am SO excited for James to have a little buddy :)

Melanie said...

Hey Leelee,
Im very excited for you!!! i grew up with all sisters as well and my dad never complained either! Now i have a little boy so this will be quite intersting for me! Good luck
-Chilean

Hailey Jones said...

yahooooooooooo!

ruby is so excited to meet her newest boyfriend!!

Kevin and Sheri said...

I can't wait to meet our new little "lawn mower".I just hope he has curly hair like his Dad....if you can't have a son, the next best thing is a Grandson! How about the name "Callum". I've heard it here several times and kind of like it. Good luck with the names, it might be the hardest part of this parenthood thing. Mom

Seth and Sarah said...

Callum? Mom...give me a break. Oh, and congrats on the boy Jess! ha!

Tyson S. H. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyson S. H. said...

Congrats Jess!

The Stone's said...

SO fun!!! I loved your e-mail! Congrats Jess!