Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October Book Review

I'm a big reader and I've had a few friends ask me to review the books I read every month. Sadly,most of the summer went by with no books read, but I'm back in the swing of things and I'll do a little review every month. If anyone has books that they haven't read yet and want a review on first before they read it, I'd be happy to do that. Also, I'm hoping it will give anyone looking at our blog some good book ideas! I hope it's helpful.
Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult Some language Some Sex (4) Nineteen Minutes is about a school shooting. The chapters alternate from perspectives of different characters. I thought this book was very interesting. Picoult takes you through the eyes of the shooter and his thoughts that led him to the shooting. Thought provoking is really the best phrase to describe this book. It really makes you think about what it must have been like for the shooter. I found this book to be a real eye opener about the dangers of bullying and what our schools need to do about this growing problem. One thing Picoult did very well was display the relationship of the parents and the son who was the shooter. It's an interesting thought that every killer has someone who loves them too. Overall I would give this book a 7.5 out of 10. Overall a good read.
The Brides House by Sandra Dallas Some Sex (6) The Brides House takes you through three different women who live in a home in Colorado referred to as the Brides House. Each woman has her own set of secrets. In this book it really shows how keeping secrets isn't necessarily the best tactic. I know that people don't want to share their mistakes in life with their children, but for heaven's sake. These women were so frustrating! They all could have benefitted from sharing some of their struggles. Sheesh. When you share the struggles you had in your younger years with your children it may help them not make the same mistakes. This family was all about covering everything up, sweeping it under the rug, pretending it didn't happen. Honestly people....bring it out in the open! It may be uncomfortable and make people mad at first but it always helps to hash things out. At least in my opinion. Pretending things didn't happen really isn't the way to live life. Overall I would give this book a 6.5 out of 10. I really preferred Sandra Dallas' book Prayers for Sale over this book.

1 comment:

Team Jensen said...

Ooooohhh! I love a good book. Thanks for reviewing! Are you on Goodreads? You must find me if you are! Here's a link to me, I think it'll work: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4182283-lisa-jensen