Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9-11




I wasn't sure how I would feel today, being here during the 10th anniversary of September 11th. It's different being in the city where it all happened. It's different seeing exactly where the towers stood. It's different seeing an empty spot among all the buildings downtown where they once were. It's different to watch all the documentaries and knowing exactly where it all happened. It's also different because 10 years ago I wasn't here.

Of the many documentaries that I've watched over the last week, one statement a woman on the street made was how different it was seeing the destruction in person. I can't imagine how frightening it must have been for everyone who lives here. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't fully understand what was going on when the towers were hit. I was still in High School and instead of being worried about world events, I was worried about seeing a certain boy in math class that day. It goes to show you where the minds of high school girls are....or at least where my mind was. After a few hours I noticed how worried the teachers and other adults at school were. Coming home I remember my mom sitting on the couch with tears on her cheeks. I knew then that it was bigger than I would probably ever understand.

This morning Jon and I watched the memorial service they had at the site. While the names of each victim were read aloud, Jon and I sat together and this time I had tears on my cheeks. Tears for those babies whose fathers never came home. At this point in my life that hit me the hardest.

The greatest part of today was going to church and being reminded that life
continues after death. Knowing that we can be together with our families forever. Nothing brings more peace to me. I hope this day can remind us to share that message of peace, hope, and the happiness of knowing that this is not the end.

No comments: